How to Avoid Over-Wetting your Carpet When Deep Cleaning
One of the most common questions we get from Rug Doctor deep cleaner renters is…
“How do I keep from over-wetting my carpet when I am shampooing with a Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner?”
This is a legit concern, because in extreme cases over-wetting your carpet during cleaning can sometimes leave behind a musty smell. This smell is caused by your carpet remaining too wet for too long.
When used correctly, it should take no longer than 2 hours for your carpet to dry after deep cleaning with a Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner.
Our Rug Doctor experts have gathered the following tips and tricks to help you avoid over-wetting your carpet.
Before Deep Cleaning
- Vacuum your carpet first. Removing the surface layer of dirt and dust will help keep the machine filter stay cleaner, which maximizes the suction power of the Rug Doctor Deep Cleaner.
- Pre-treat spots and stains. Rug Doctor offers various carpet cleaning sprays that you can use to pre-treat particularly stubborn spots and stains. Pre-treating your stains will increase the efficacy of the machine and will require less cleaning solution spray passes during your cleaning process.
During Deep Cleaning
- Only go over the same area twice with spray button pressed when cleaning your carpet. Rug Doctor’s vibrating brush technology and best-in-category suction deeply scrubs all sides of the carpet fiber, allowing the cleaning solution to release the stains in just one pass for quick, effective cleaning. You shouldn’t need to make more than two passes with cleaning solution (especially if you pre-treated stains) when deep cleaning your carpet.
- Make additional passes without spray button pressed. The Rug Doctor deep cleaner has a powerful motor that will suck up and extract water from your carpet. If you accidently applied too much cleaning solution, simply follow up with a couple of dry passes. Use your hand to help determine how many passes to make without the spray button pressed. When done, your carpet should be slightly damp to the touch.
After Deep Cleaning
- Increase air circulation and ventilation. If possible, open windows and doors. You can also turn on ceiling fans to help speed carpet drying.
- Add on the Rug Doctor Pro Floor Dryer to your rental purchase. The Rug Doctor Floor Dryer is great for drying carpets after cleaning. It has a 3-speed motor control and powerful high velocity air flow. This portable, lightweight floor dryer can also be used for other carpet drying needs, such as flooding and disasters.