February 14th is right around the corner and couples are planning their special night out on the town. But why go out, when you can stay in? Rug Doctor believes celebrating at home can be just as romantic. We asked love expert April Davis, founder and CEO of luxury matchmaking website LUMA, and she agrees the home can be a perfect place for date night:
“Staying in and going out both have their benefits, but the most intimate moments are at home. And the weather is a factor! If it’s too cold, staying in would be the best option. Besides, Valentine’s Day is about you and your partner.”
The first step in creating a romantic atmosphere at home is to make sure your home is clean. Dirt and clutter can distract you and your date from focusing on each other. A clean home can make your special someone feel comfortable and at-home. However, you don’t want to go overboard. A super sterile home can be very off-putting and make your date feel like they can’t relax. Just clean what matters, and leave the extreme scrubbing for spring cleaning.
So, what matters? These five areas are the most important areas to clean before your date arrives.
- The floors. If you have carpet, start with vacuuming. If there are major spots and stains in your carpet, rent a Rug Doctor and give your floors a deep clean. You want your date focusing on you, not worrying what awful thing left a big brown stain in the middle of the floor. Deep cleaning your carpets the day before can also knock out any lingering odors and leave your house smelling fresh. If you have hard surface floors, make sure you give them a good sweep and use a hard floor cleaner for stubborn areas. The Floor Doctor Hard Floor Cleaner is an affordable, cordless hard floor cleaner designed to spray, scrub, and extract spills and stains.
- The bathroom. At some point in the night, your date will need to use your bathroom. Make sure your toilet bowl and sink are clean. Empty the trash can. Refill soap dispensers. Light a scented candle or place a bowl of potpourri on the counter. Lastly, go through your medicine cabinet. Clear out anything you wouldn’t want your date to see! Trust us, they’ll peek. It’s too hard not to!
- The kitchen. Make sure counter tops are wiped down. Wash and put away any dishes in the sink. If you have a dishwasher, empty the dishwasher before your date arrives. Placing dishes in the dishwasher throughout the night instead of piling them in the sink can keep the kitchen clean and void of clutter. A great way to bond with your date is to cook together. Make sure all the appliances, pots, and cooking utensils you will need are clean and ready to use.
- The fridge. Take care to make sure there are no stinky leftovers in your refrigerator. You don’t want the mood to be spoiled by smelly, spoiled food! Stock up numerous drink choices and snacks. If dinner takes longer to cook than expected, you are prepared.
- Pet areas. If you have a pet in the home, check that your date doesn’t have any allergies. Vacuum hair from couches and other sitting areas. If there are stubborn pet stains, like urine or blood, use a portable spot machine. The Rug Doctor Portable Spot Cleaner is perfect for spot cleaning soft surfaces. You can also use Rug Doctor Pet Stain Remover to eliminate your pet odors and stains. This special formula is engineered with enzymes that literally eat organic stains and odors (human or pet) away. It is great to use in your pet’s favorite lounging areas. You can find it on the Rug Doctor rental rack at your local grocer.
Home Cleaning = Great Valentine’s Day Celebration
Once you have your home clean and ready, setting the mood is easy. Just dim the lights, put on soft music, and enjoy your time with your loved one without any dirty distractions.